The Schmidt Science Fellows program is an opportunity for early-career scientists from around the world to pursue their research in Canada. The program provides funding, mentorship, and networking opportunities to help Fellows establish their independent research programs. Fellows will also have the opportunity to collaborate with other Fellows and scientists at leading Canadian institutions. If you are a scientist interested in pursuing your research in Canada, the Schmidt Science Fellowships program may be for you. Read on to learn more about the program and how to apply.
The Schmidt Science Fellowships are an international program that supports outstanding early-career scientists to pursue “ audacious” research projects in the natural sciences, engineering, and data science. Fellows receive a $100,000 annual stipend, access to world-class facilities and resources, and the opportunity to collaborate with leading scientists from around the world. The program is administered by the Rhodes Trust in partnership with Stanford University, MIT, and Harvard University.
The fellowships are named after Eric Schmidt, Executive Chairman of Alphabet Inc. (Google’s parent company) and his wife Wendy Schmidt, who committed $25 million to launch the program in 2016.
The first cohort of Schmidt Science Fellows was announced in 2017. There are currently 70 fellows from 33 countries working on projects ranging from developing new materials for solar energy capture to using machine learning to understand disease outbreaks.
About Schmidt Science Fellowship 2023
- Fellowship Country: Canada
- Fellowship University: University of Columbia, Canada
- Type: Fully Funded
- Fellowship Period: Four Years
Who is eligible for Schmidt Science Fellowships?
The Schmidt Science Fellowships are open to outstanding scientists and engineers from around the world who are in the early stages of their careers and who want to pursue a transformative year of research and exploration outside of their field, institution, or country. The Fellowships are designed to give rising stars in science and engineering the freedom to take risks, explore new frontiers, and expand their horizons.
To be eligible for this fellowship, applicants must:
- Be within 10 years of receiving their PhD (or equivalent degree) as of September 1st of the year they apply
- Hold a PhD (or equivalent degree) in any field of natural or social sciences, engineering, or mathematics at the time they apply
- Not currently hold a tenured faculty position or equivalent
- Be employed full-time in research (as defined by their primary employer), with no more than 50% of their time devoted to teaching, administrative duties, or clinical training
- Be citizens or permanent residents of Canada, the United States, Europe, India, China, Japan, Brazil, South Africa or Mexico at the time they apply
What are the benefits of being a Schmidt Fellow?
- The Schmidt Science Fellows program provides an opportunity for exceptional early-career scientists to receive up to $1.25 million CAD in funding over three years.
- Fellows are selected based on their outstanding scientific achievements and their potential to become leaders in their field.
- The fellowship provides funding for Fellows to pursue independent research projects at leading research institutions around the world.
- Fellows also participate in a year-long program of professional development activities, including attending workshops and conferences, meeting with leading scientists, and participating in public outreach activities.
- The Fellowship provides an unparalleled opportunity for early-career scientists to accelerate their scientific careers and make a lasting impact on their fields of study.
How to apply for Schmidt Science Fellowships
The Schmidt Science Fellowships are designed to support the next generation of scientific leaders. The fellowships provide funding and mentorship to help Fellows pursue their scientific passions and develop their leadership skills. Fellowships are awarded through a competitive process and are open to scholars in all disciplines who are committed to interdisciplinary research.
To apply for a Schmidt Science Fellowship, applicants must submit an online application including a personal statement, CV, research proposal, and three letters of recommendation. The personal statement should describe the applicant’s motivation for applying to the program and their long-term career goals. The CV should highlight the applicant’s academic achievements and relevant professional experience. The research proposal should outline the applicant’s proposed area of study and explain how it will contribute to their long-term career goals. finally, three letters of recommendation from academic or professional mentors are required.
- ExxonMobil Africa Financial Analyst Internships 2023
- Nvidia Internship Program For 2023 International Students
- UNDP Internship For Undergraduate Students 2023 | Paid