Swansea University Sanctuary Scholarship is a Promise of Hope for Undocumented Students. The Sanctuary Scholarship program at Swansea University in Wales was established to provide undocumented students with the means and opportunity to study abroad and pursue their dreams in education.
Each year, dozens of talented international students apply for this award, which provides a full scholarship covering tuition, travel, and living expenses (for a maximum of four years). The program works on a rolling admissions basis, meaning you can apply even if you don’t have an offer from Swansea yet; however, the sooner you apply, the more time you’ll have to secure your visa!
About Swansea University Sanctuary Scholarship 2022
- Scholarship Host: Swansea University, United Kingdom
- Scholarship amount: Full tuition and other benefits
- Scholarship Institution: Swansea University, UK
- Degree Level: Masters
- Number of scholarships: Several
- Nationality: All International Students
- Deadline: 30 June 2022
The scholarship program
- Swansea University’s Sanctuary Scholarship will support up to 25 students to join our undergraduate and postgraduate programmes.
- Every applicant must satisfy UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) requirement as evidenced by one of following documents:
- UKVI issued statement that you have been granted leave to remain in the UK; OR Birth Certificate or passport containing a stamp stating ‘have right of abode in Britain or Northern Ireland’
- ritish National (Overseas) passport holder; OR Asylum status.
- You are expected to be studying at Swansea University during both your undergraduate and postgraduate studies, unless you can provide acceptable evidence that there is sufficient reason not to be doing so.
Successful applicants will receive an unconditional award for each year of study, subject to satisfactory progress and attendance.
The difference between an illegal immigrant and undocumented student
While both illegal immigrants and undocumented students are often referred to as undocumented, it’s important to understand that there is a difference between these two groups. Both illegal immigrants and undocumented students can be deported if they travel outside their host country.
However, an illegal immigrant has crossed international borders without documentation while an undocumented student might have been brought into another country by his or her parents when they were very young. Additionally, an illegal immigrant usually tries to integrate into society in some way, even though he or she doesn’t have full legal status, whereas an undocumented student has been trying to live quietly in order to avoid discovery and deportation.
Why should you apply?
The Swansea University Sanctuary Scholarship is aimed at undocumented students who have been in Britain since before their 16th birthday. It covers tuition fees and a maintenance grant, as well as funding for summer internships and travel to conferences.
The scholarship also covers travel costs to attend our two open days each year. This package is an incredible opportunity for students with ambitions to study a STEM subject or further studies in medicine or dentistry at Swansea University—as well as those who are interested in developing academic skills alongside their undergraduate studies. As a recipient of one of these scholarships, you will join a highly supportive community within Swansea’s Department of Politics & International Relations.
How to apply?
You’ll need to apply through UCAS. Swansea has a great guide on how to do that here. Once you’ve applied, go ahead and submit your passport size photograph (it will be one of your ‘portrait’ photos – if you don’t know what I mean by that, take a look at your passports) and make sure it conforms to their specific requirements (they have it covered in their application guide). Make sure that you include all required documents with your application; incomplete applications are unlikely to be reviewed.
The deadline to apply for Swansea University Sanctuary Scholarship for international students 30 June 2022 . The Swansea University sanctuary scholarship is a postgraduate research scholarship open to all students who are applying to a full-time Masters degree programme, but who have not yet been given leave to remain in the UK. Scholarships will be awarded on merit and UK residency criteria will be applied alongside academic ones.
Applicants do not need to be asylum seekers or refugees, but will need to provide documentation showing they hold an immigration status which gives them access to student loans, tuition fees and maintenance support from Student Finance Wales/NUS Wales. These scholarships are run by Swansea university with support from NUS Wales’ UNIQUE Project and backed by Amnesty International Cymru, together with Welsh Government through its Modern Languages Strategy Fund and International Office.
If you are interested in further information of Swansea University Sanctuary Scholarship, you can visit the official website of the university link is given below.
You can also apply for:
- Marcus Oldham College Scholarship 2023 – Applications Open!
- Montreal University Canada Scholarships 2023: How to Apply
- The Erasmus Mundus Scholarship 2023-24 – Fully Funded
- Dalarna University Scholarship 2023 – You Need to Know
- University of Alberta Scholarships 2022-23 Without IELTS